Mrs. Smith Farmer’s Wife 1930’s #74


I finished Mrs. Smith. It was pretty difficult. I did not paper piece it. I pieced it in sections. I cut the pieces, drew 1/4 inch lines on every piece, pinned the daylights out of them and then sewed them together. I am not going to do a tutorial in this post but a photo journal of sorts. I took my time with this block. I used reproduction fabrics by Jo Morton, and a line from Marcus Fabrics. If you haven’t heard about it I am using the book Farmer’s Wife 1930’s Sampler Quilt. I apologize if some of the pictures are not crispy clear. I am not much of a photographer.


I cut all the pieces out exactly the size indicated in the directions. I have read that some people have been cutting the pieces out bigger and then trimming them down. I think that is a great idea. I just didn’t do it with this block. I may try that technique with other blocks.



Like I said I really pinned these babies. I put a pin at each point then one or two depending on the size of the piece in the middle. As you can see in the photos I made sure the pin stuck in at the drawn line on both sides of the fabric.


These are the four corners of the block. I sewed these first. I put a penny in the photo to show how small these pieces are. I love sewing these small blocks. It is a challenge but it feels good when you see it coming together.


I kept adding to the first four patch pieces. So cool to see the block getting bigger as you go.


More pinning! Awful photo, sorry!


I took the sewing very slowly. It was very nice having the pencil line to go by. I found it hard to take the pins out without moving the pieces. I did everything very carefully.


Here is the block with most of the pieces sewn together. It was very exciting to be able to see the star in the middle. I had to contain myself a little at this point. I started getting anxious to see it done but was afraid I would make a mistake it I hurried.


I press every piece after I sew it. I press my seams open. I had a nice conversation about open seams with the woman that I buy this fabric from. Her name is Cyndi and she owns the shop Busy Thimble.  She explained that this is how the women did it back in the old days. She says it allows the block to lay flatter. Since I am using reproduction fabrics and the book I am using is a 1930’s sampler I figured I should do it the old fashioned way. My stitch length is very short too so this ensures there will be no pulling away from the seams when I press them open.


It is so satisfying to see how pretty the block looks even from the back.


Eventually I got the block down to three pieces. It was so exciting. Lot of oohs and ahhs and giddy giggles! Good thing no one heard me, it was a little ridiculous.


For a wonderfully satisfying finish! I really liked working on this block even though it was a hard one. Not sure which block I am going to do next but maybe I should pick an easier one.

Are you working on these Farmer’s Wife 1930’s blocks? How are you liking them?

I am  joining Amanda today for Finish it Friday! And Sarah and her Whoop Whoop!  Happy Quilting!









6 thoughts on “Mrs. Smith Farmer’s Wife 1930’s #74

    1. Thank you. One lady in my knitting group is doing them. I haven’t seen a finished one yet either. There are lots of blocks!


  1. You did a magnificent joy on this block. I, too, press all my seams flat. I’m hoping one day to make this quilt, Nearly Insane, Dear Jane and Gypsy Wife. I must be nearly insane. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s